Grilling the watermelon adds a savory depth to the fruit, giving this refreshing summer salad much more flavor than you’d imagine from this simple combination. Shop our farm stand vendors for your tomatoes and watermelon. Stop by The Cheese People for their full flavored feta cheese.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more
- 1 (4-pound) seedless watermelon, rind removed, cut into 1/2"-thick slices
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 4 multicolored heirloom tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more
- 6 ounces feta, thinly sliced (about 1 1/4 cups)
1. Prepare a grill for medium-high heat or heat a grill pan or cast-iron skillet over medium-high; oil grate or pan.
2. Using a 2" diameter ring cutter or thin drinking glass, cut watermelon into circles; you should have 20–22 pieces (reserve scraps for another use). Season watermelon on both sides with 1/2 tsp. salt. Grill watermelon until well charred, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and set aside until cool to the touch, about 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, toss tomatoes, 1 Tbsp. oil, 1 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. pepper in a large bowl.
4. Layer watermelon, tomato mixture, and cheese in alternating layers on a platter, draining any extra liquid from tomatoes before using. Drizzle with oil, season with pepper, and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Katherine Sacks, EPICURIOUS June 2017