Treat mom to breakfast in bed Martha Stewart Style. Betsie of Swirl Café has English muffins specially made for the Market. Our meat vendors have a great selection of flavored bacon and, why not kick it up a notch with breakfast sausage. Don’t forget the cheese from The Cheese People!
- 1-ounce fontina cheese
- 2 slices extra smoky, extra thick cut bacon
- 1 English muffin, split
- 1 large egg
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Place cheese in the freezer until well chilled, about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, place bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook until crisp. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to drain.
2. Remove cheese from freezer, cut two slices, and grate remaining cheese on the largest holes of a box grater. Set aside.
3. Place English muffin split side down in skillet. Cook until toasted. Turn and top both sides with sliced cheese. Reduce heat and cook until cheese is melted. Remove from heat and set aside. Top one half with bacon.
4. Crack an egg into bacon fat and season with salt and pepper. Fry egg until the white is set. Turn and top egg with grated cheese. Continue cooking until the yolk has reached the desired degree of doneness.
5. Carefully place the egg on top of bacon. Sandwich with remaining muffin half. Serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of Martha Stewart