Not only is spaghetti squash a tasty addition to your day, this recipe is a delicious way to incorporate those fresh veggies from Geneva Lakes Produce into mealtime. Shop Pastured Perfect and Farmer Nicks for the chicken breast and the bacon. Try seasoned bacon to kick it up a notch. Next stops are The Cheese People and the wine from Glunz. Just like that, you have dinner!
- 1 (3.5-pound) spaghetti squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 2 slices center-cut bacon, chopped
- 1 pound chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1.5 cups chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 Poblano pepper
- 8 ounces sliced crimini mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup julienne sun-dried tomatoes, packed without oil
- 1 1/4 cup cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 6 ounces fresh spinach, chopped
- 1/2 cup grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided
- Preheat broiler.
- Cut poblano in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes. Place pepper halves, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet; flatten with hand. Broil 5 minutes or until blackened. Place in a zip-top plastic bag; seal. Let stand 5 minutes. Peel and chop. Reduce oven temperature to 400 °.
- Cut squash in half lengthwise; discard seeds. Place squash halves cut side down in a 13x9-inch baking dish. Add water to measure 1/2-inch deep. Bake at 400 ° for 45 minutes. Turn squash over; bake an additional 15 minutes or until tender; cool. Scrape inside of squash with a fork to remove strands to measure 6 cups. Keep warm.
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add bacon to pan; cook until crisp. Remove bacon from pan. Cool and crumble. Increase heat to medium-high; sprinkle chicken evenly with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add chicken to drippings in pan and cook 4 minutes; remove from pan.
- Heat remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat. Add onion to the pan and cook 3 minutes or until soft, stirring frequently. Add remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, reserved bacon, Poblano, garlic and Italian seasoning to pan; cook 1 minute.
- Stir in mushrooms and cook 4 minutes or until softened, stirring occasionally. Add wine to the pan and cook 3 minutes or until liquid evaporates, stirring occasionally. Add tomato paste and cook 1 minute stirring constantly.
- Add reserved chicken, chicken broth, tomatoes, and spinach to pan. Cook 2 minutes or until spinach wilts, stirring constantly; stir in 1/4 cup cheese.
- Place about 1 cup squash on each of 6 plates; top each serving with about 1 cup chicken mixture and 2 teaspoons remaining cheese.
Recipe courtesy of MyRecipes March 2009