Goat cheese from The Cheese People, golden beets from Twin Gardens, watermelon from Geneva Lakes and all the other goodies from the Market make this a spectacular appetizer for your next garden party.
- 1 small golden beet, trimmed and peeled
- 1/2 cup diced seedless watermelon
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 2 teaspoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 ounces soft goat cheese (about 1/3 cup)
- 16 (1/4-ounce) slices diagonally cut whole-grain French bread baguette, toasted
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
1. Wrap beet in microwave-safe parchment paper. Microwave at HIGH 3 minutes or until tender. Let stand 5 minutes; thinly slice. Combine sliced beet, watermelon, onion, vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.
2. Spread about 1 teaspoon goat cheese onto each bread slice. Divide beet mixture evenly over bread slices. Drizzle each bread slice with 1/4 teaspoon oil; sprinkle evenly with chives.
Recipe Courtesy of Katie Barreira, Cooking Light