With a few easy steps, you can create a gorgeous beet, pear and almond salad. Pears are coming in from our Michigan fruit growers and beets are readily available from our farm stand vendors. Mix it up a bit and use a variety of colored beets, add apples in place of the pears, and check out WildTree for a spicy dressing. Enjoy the “fruits of the Market”.
- 4 large red beets
- 2 Anjou pears
- 3 to 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 2 cups baby washed arugula
- 1/4 cup Marcona almonds, coarsely chopped
- 1 bunch chives, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place the beets on a sheet tray and roast until fork tender, about an hour. Remove and let cool.
- Using a paring knife, peel the beets. Grate the beets and the pears on the largest holes of a box grater. Toss them with the balsamic, olive oil and salt.
- Divide the arugula between 4 salad plates, spoon some of the beet-pear mixture onto the arugula and top with the chopped almonds and chives. Serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of Anne Burrell Food Network