When Ron Lester of Lester’s Bison Farm gives us a recipe, you know it is going to be great. Shop the Market for your sandwich fixings. The options are endless. Shop Wild Tree for wild onion spread, bacon from our meat vendors, hot sauce from River Valley. Thanks Ron.
- 2 slices sourdough or other bread suitable for grilling
- 2 tablespoons balsamic shallot marmalade (recipe below)
- 5 ounces marinated skirt steak; grilled to medium rare and sliced
- 1/2 ounce spinach or arugula
- 1/3 cup (2 ounces) Wisconsin blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, softened
For Shallot Marmalade:
- 1 tablespoon (about 1 ounce) olive oil2 cups (about 7 ounces)
- shallots, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) water2 tablespoons
- (1 ounce) balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon (about 1 ounce) honey or more to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Spread 1 side of each bread slice with shallot marmalade.
- Place 1 slice bread, marmalade-side-up, on work surface and layer with sliced steak, spinach and blue cheese.
- Cover with remaining slice of bread, marmalade-side-down. Butter outside of bread slices and grill or press using a panini grill until sandwich is heated through and cheese is melted.
In medium sauté pan, cook olive oil and shallots over low heat until tender.
Reduce heat to low, add water, cover and simmer until shallots turn golden brown, checking frequently and adding additional water as needed.
Deglaze pan with balsamic vinegar. Add honey and thyme and continue cooking to reduce slightly. Add salt, pepper and additional honey to taste
Recipe courtesy of Ron Lester, Lester’s Bison Farm April 2015