This salad is over the top when you buy your fresh Portobello mushrooms from River Valley Ranch. Kick it up another notch with smoked mozzarella from The Cheese People. Serve it with crusty bread from one of our artisan bakers and a red wine from Glunz and you have done it again. Another great tasting Farmers Market salad!
- 8 Portobello mushroom caps
- 2 garlic cloves, halved
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3 medium tomatoes, sliced 3/4 inch thick (8 slices total)
- 1 bunch fresh basil
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced 1/2 inch thick (4 slices total)
- 4 cups arugula
- Toasted bread, for serving
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place mushrooms and garlic on a rimmed baking sheet; coat with oil and vinegar. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt, and season with pepper. Roast, shaking sheet occasionally, for 20 minutes. Flip mushrooms and garlic to recoat with oil. Add tomatoes; flip to coat in oil, sprinkle with remaining teaspoon salt, and season with pepper. Roast until mushrooms are tender and tomatoes are soft, 20 minutes more.
2. Rub softened garlic onto mushrooms and discard. Place 1 mushroom on each of 4 plates, and top each with some basil. Stack another mushroom and 1 mozzarella slice onto each. Layer more basil, 1 tomato slice, more basil, then another tomato onto each. Divide arugula among plates, and drizzle with pan juices. Serve with bread.
Recipe courtesy of Martha Stewart Living, September 2009