Easy yet elegant 4th of July dessert specially made with farm fresh Farmers Market berries. Explore the Market to see what other bakery goodies you can use in place of the nests. How about topping a slice of Nana’s Rum Cake or a croissant or one of those delectable cookies? Check out the flavored balsamic vinegars. Make it an adult desert….we’re thinking a splash or a glass of Raspberry Wine from Glunz Family Winery & Cellars. Enjoy the fireworks!
- 4 cups halved fresh strawberries
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- /4 to 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- PHYLLO NESTS:
- 8 sheets phyllo dough (14 inches x 9 inches)
- Cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, combine the strawberries, blackberries and raspberries. Sprinkle with sugar; gently toss to coat. Let stand for 20 minutes. Pour vinegar over berries; sprinkle with pepper. Gently toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- For phyllo nests, coat giant nonstick muffin cups with a cooking spray; set aside. Unroll phyllo dough sheets; remove one sheet. (White assembling, keep remaining dough covered with plastic wrap and a damp cloth.)
- For each nest, cut one sheet in half lengthwise and cut in thirds widthwise. Stack three sections and place in a prepared cup; spray with cooking spray. Stack remaining three sections and place in cup, alternating points. Spray with cooking spray. Combine the sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle about 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon-sugar over dough. Repeat with remaining sheets of dough.
- Bake at 375° for 7-8 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes before carefully removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Using a slotted spoon, fill each nest with about 3/4 cup berry mixture. Drizzle with a small amount of juice. Serve immediately. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Berries in a Nest in Light & Tasty June/July 2004