A great way to kick off opening day is picking up a bison steak from Lester’s Bison Farm. While you are at the Market, pick up your wine from Glunz, grapeseed oil from Wild Tree, Amish butter from the Meat Goat and your shallots from River Valley. Might want to add those great River Valley mushrooms for extra flavor. Shop around for those extra Market items and don’t forget desert!
· 2 tablespoons pink peppercorns, cracked to a medium grind
· 1 tablespoon kosher salt
· 4 (10-ounce) bison (buffalo) steaks, New York steak or strip loin cut
· Red Wine-Shallot Marmalade:
· 2 tablespoons butter
· 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
· 1 tablespoon brown sugar
· 2 cups shallot, peeled and sliced 1/8-inch thick
· 2 cups red wine
· 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
· Salt and pepper
1. Combine the ground peppercorns and salt and liberally coat the bison steaks.
2. In a heavy-bottomed saucepan on medium-high heat melt the butter with the oil and sugar. Add the shallots and caramelize them for 10 minutes. Add the wine, turn down the heat to a simmer and reduce liquid to 1/4 of its original amount. Remove from heat. Add thyme and season.
3. On a hot grill, cook the steaks to the desired doneness.
4. To serve, top each of the steaks with a spoonful of the shallot marmalade. The marmalade can be hot, warm or room temperature.
Recipe courtesy of Joey Altman, FoodNetwork