Check this out for a new take on meatballs. Shop for the beef and bacon from our meat vendors, Parmesan from The Cheese People and sauce from River Valley Ranch to give you the ingredients for an easy Farmers Market spaghetti dinner. Kick it up a notch with ground bison or pork and add fresh mushrooms. Take it to the next level with mushroom ravioli from River Valley. What’s not to like?
- 3 slices bacon, very coarsely chopped
- 1 pound ground beef chuck
- 3 cups marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan (2 ounces), plus more, shaved, for serving
- 1 small onion, very coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 3 tablespoons bread crumbs
- 1 large egg
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 12 ounces spaghetti (3/4 box)
1. Heat broiler. Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta. In a food processor, combine the onion, bacon, garlic, and parsley; pulse until finely chopped, 10 to 15 times. Transfer to a medium bowl, add the beef, Parmesan, bread crumbs, egg, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper, and mix gently to combine.
2. Form the beef mixture into 16 meatballs (about 2 tablespoons each) and place on a foil-lined broiler proof rimmed baking sheet. Broil, turning once, until cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes.
3. Cook the pasta according to the package directions.
4. Heat the marinara sauce in a large skillet over medium heat, 2 to 3 minutes; add the meatballs and toss gently to coat. Serve over the pasta and sprinkle with the shaved Parmesan.
Recipe courtesy of Charlyne Mattox, Real Simple October 2011