Another great Market winner especially since you can buy wonderful pierogies from Delicja. Ask Joanna for her suggestions on how to cook the flavorful varieties of pierogies that she sells. Add mushrooms from River Valley Ranch. Mike will help you with your selection. Fresh picked cabbage and apples are arriving each week. So shop our farm stand vendors for the freshest ingredients.
- 1 16.9-ounce box frozen potato-and-onion Pierogi
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, cut into rings
- 1 crisp apple (such as Braeburn or Gala), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 small head green cabbage, shredded
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1/3 cup sour cream
1. Cook the pierogi according to the package directions.
2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 5 to 6 minutes.
3. Add the apple and cook for 1 minute.
4. Add the cabbage, vinegar, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring until the cabbage is slightly wilted but still crunchy, 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Divide the cabbage mixture among plates. Serve with the pierogi and sour cream on the side.
By Sara Quessenberry, Real Simple March, 2008