Turn frozen potato pierogi into a meal by serving with a simple side of apples, cabbage, and onion. Check out little europa for their delectable selection of pierogi. Don’t forget Geneva Lakes for your onions, apples and cabbage. And, stop by Glunz Family Winery and Cellars for their suggestion on a great wine to serve with this easy fall meal. Ingredients:
1 16.9-ounce box frozen potato-and-onion pierogi
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small yellow onion, cut into rings
1 crisp apple (such as Braeburn or Gala), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1/4 small head green cabbage, shredded
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
kosher salt and black pepper
1/3 cup sour cream
1. Cook the pierogi according to the package directions.
2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 5 to 6 minutes.
3. Add the apple and cook for 1 minute.
4. Add the cabbage, vinegar, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring, until the cabbage is slightly wilted but still crunchy, about 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Divide the cabbage mixture among plates. Serve with the pierogi and sour cream on the side.
By Sara Quessenberry, Real Simple Magazine March 2008