You can pick up your perogies at Little Europa, a new vendor for 2011 season, and you can get your bacon from Farmer Nick or Lester's Bison. A very tasty treat! YIELD: 4 servings (serving size: 3 pierogies and 2 tablespoons sauce)
TOTAL: 38 MINUTES
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen potato and onion pierogies (such as Mrs. T's)
- Cooking spray
- 2 center-cut bacon slices, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup (3 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
- 1/2 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup thinly diagonally sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped seeded plum tomato
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°.
- 2. Arrange the pierogies in an 11 x 7-inch glass baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cook bacon in a saucepan over medium heat until crisp; remove from pan. Set aside.
- 3. Add garlic to drippings in pan, and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add 1/3 cup cream cheese to pan, and cook for 1 minute or until cream cheese begins to melt, stirring frequently. Gradually add chicken broth to pan, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Pour the cream cheese mixture evenly over pierogies. Top evenly with 1/2 cup cheddar cheese. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until bubbly and thoroughly heated. Remove from oven, and sprinkle with bacon, green onions, tomato, and pepper.
Julianna Grimes, Cooking Light DECEMBER 2010